01 December 2011

Jeremy Clarkson: hate criminal?

After a severe lack of postings in November, I'm going to start as I mean to go on in December - with at least one post a day. To kick us off here's something truly horrible - Jeremy Clarkson calling for striking public sector workers to be shot in front of their families.

I've contacted the Metropolitan Police hate crimes unit to ask them to investigate Clarkson for hate crimes.

It's worth noting at this point that I have severe misgivings about "hate crime" legislation as it can easily be used to clamp down on free speech. But as the Tories are fond of pointing out, if a crime has been committed then arguably it's my duty to ask for an investigation - my personal feelings on the matter are irrelevant.

(Plus there is the fact that Clarkson is a fascist bastard and it'd be nice to see him banged up. But I didn't let that interfere with my judgement on this matter. Oh no...)

Update, 5pm 1 December: As UNISON have announced they're taking legal advice on the Clarkson issue I've decided not to bother with the Met complaint - I'm sure UNISON has more resources than I have.

Another update, 9pm 1 December: the BBC has now released this transcript of the conversation which, to be fair to Clarkson, makes it clear that he was joking. (He was trying to give two extreme opinions to wind the audience up). Case closed as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: