01 February 2011

Into February with a new laptop - PC all the way.

Blogging at the end of January just fizzled out due to sheer volume of work and the fact that my main desktop computer simply gave up the ghost after only 3 years of (admittedly high intensity) use. I think the motherboard has issues.

Anyway I am getting by with the back-up computer which we normally use for iPlayer on the downstairs TV - it's actually not much worse than the main desktop PC in terms of spec and is notably less cluttered in terms of registry, etc. So it's going quite well.

But I want to get it back to doing iPlayer asap, so I've ordered a Samsung Q330 laptop (less than £500 - nice) online - should be delivered later this week. Laptops are now so cheap/powerful that my previous strategy of "build your own desktop" doesn't make economic sense anymore (although I might still do my next dedicated Digital Audio Workstation PC that way - I'm not sure). I think, on reflection, I will use the old iPlayer PC with the good quality soundcard from the fried PC as a DAW, and use yet another backup PC as the iPlayer downstairs PC. Now this is starting to get confusing.

The new Samsung laptop will be used with full size monitor, mouse and keyboard at home (a bespoke docking station arrangement) but will also be fully mobile for client work in London or elsewhere. It's a big advance on my mobile functionality at the moment which involves lugging an ageing Dell laptop around running Linux.

So that's my IT, 2011 remix. And notice that Apple didn't feature once. Many people are getting MacBooks. I'm not one of them. And unless the whole PC industry goes belly-up, I never will be.

In a slight remix of Bryan Adams... PC 'till I die.

2 comments:

Weaser said...

Samsung over Apple. Good choice:

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20110201/16-percent-of-galaxy-tabs-are-returned/

T.N.T. said...

Weaser - good to see you back on here.

I have looked at the Galaxy Tab and I wasn't that impressed - I think Android 2.2 is the best OS for phones out there but it's pretty duff as a tablet OS. Also one thing I agree with Steve Jobs on is that the 10" form factor for tablets is much better than 7" - the Tab just looks like an oversized phone to me. I think the Android 3 tablets will be a lot better.

That said, given that I've just managed to buy a laptop which is much more powerful than the iPad or any other tablet and is about £150 cheaper than the iPad, who's the toe-head?