20 February 2007

Emotional Feedback on A Timeless Wavelength

Sorry to have been out of action so long... I've been struck down with a mystery viral infection, which I thought was flu, but it hasn't lasted long enough, fortunately. A bit like the Conservative party under Iain Duncan Smith.

After around what felt like 48 hours solid in bed my recovery was finally aided by hearing Rush's 'Spirit of Radio' playing on the Chris Evans show on Radio 2. My wife claims this may the worst commercially successful single of all time (it made no. 11 in 1980), but it's hard to argue with lyrics like:

Invisible airwaves crackle with life
Bright antennae bristle with the energy
Emotional feedback on a timeless wavelength...


Vocals are provided by Geddy Lee, who was once mentioned in a Pavement song, and has a fairly unique sound. The Rolling Stone Record Guide (1979 edition) described him as 'sounding like a cross between Robert Plant and Donald Duck' and indeed if you have some old Led Zeppelin LPs on vinyl and play them at 45 you'll discover much of the Rush back catalogue. Try it.

Meanwhile, lyrics were provided by the drummer (is this ever a good sign?) Neil Peart, who was apparently influenced by extreme libertarian novelist Ayn Rand (well someone had to be, I suppose), but on this particular track the lexicography is more along the lines of what happened on Yes's album 'Drama' (also from 1980), where future ABC producer and ex-Buggles lead vocalist Trevor Horn was having fun pretending to be Jon Anderson. Well, at least it didn't sound like Phil Collins.

Rush's finest moment remains the 1975 track 'I Think I'm Going Bald' - if I eventually do go bald, at least I have the consolation of playing this track very loudly, all day. But I don't think we'll hear it on Chris Evans on Radio 2. Ever.

Anyway, I'm feeling much recovered now so once I'm back on the case, and can locate Seth and Barney, we'll get some more posts up here pronto. Thanks for your patience.

p.s. sorry for including no links in this post, but I couldn't think of anyone who would want to link to any info about Rush or Yes? Unless they were already acquainted with such 70s prog-metal, in which case it would be pointless.

3 comments:

Heart_Man said...

For over 30 years I experienced several life threatening chronic illnesses. Through the Grace of God I was lead to The Institute of HeartMath, www.emotionalmastery.com, and discovered that all of my illnesses were due to stress and anxiety I had been experiencing in my life. Through learning and practicing HeartMath’s tools and technologies, I am able to prevent, manage and reverse the effects of stress, in-the-moment, achieve better health, more energy, improved mental and emotional clarity, and improved performance and relationships. HeartMath’s tools and technologies are scientifically substantiated; they literally saved my life. For the past few years I have devoted my life to sharing what I have learned with others.

T.N.T. said...

All very interesting and useful but do you like Rush or Yes?

Anonymous said...

i really enjoy your blog!!