19 October 2006

Images from the Britannia Hotel, Manchester

Now that I've finally got a Bluetooth dongle for my PC I have been able to upload a couple of photos from the Britannia Hotel in Manchester, that rather duff place I stayed at for the Labour Party Conference. I'm using a Nokia 6230i which only has a 1.3 megapixel camera built in, and the lighting was not good, so the quality is very grainy... but that's part of the charm I guess.

First up we have a possible remake of The Shining...



... or perhaps the hotel in that video game which Pingu plays in the last episode of Nathan Barley. The one where he is Andrew Marr trapped in a hotel in Brighton during the Labour Party Conference where something has gone very wrong... great scene, that.

Secondly we have a photo taken looking down the maginficent central staircase looking down onto the chandelier. It was too dimly lit for the normal light setting, so I tried 'night' mode instead, which left it looking something like Dante's Inferno...



Quite duff really, but perhaps an interesting experiment in lo-fi art. Apparently next year's Labour Party Conference is in Bournemouth, where the hotels are better but the town is one big snooze... it'll be tempting to do a John Lennon and stay in bed for the duration. If I start growing my beard now I can even look the part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should suggest it to the hotel management Tom, they're in desperate need of some kind of gimmick to bring the rubes in. They certainly aren't attracting anyone with the quality of the customer service, which resembles 70s British Rail, 80s Moscow, or 00s 'one' railway.